This is a sort of checklist in progress for things to keep in mind when redesigning a website.
- Backup Current Website & Databases
- Take note of the current site’s SEO tactics and page rank for target key phrases
- Check for existing Google Analytics (etc) accounts
- Check for existing .htaccess file
- If renaming pages or restructuring, prepare a new .htaccess file to include 301 redirects so search engines can find your new pages
- Upload new website & new .htaccess file
- Add & verify site in Google Webmaster account
- Tweet, Facebook Posts, etc to get the word out about the new design
Example .htaccess 301 redirect
Redirect 301 /old_page.html http://www.your-domain.com/new-page.html
Have something you think should be added to the list? Leave a comment!